- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375 F (190 C).
- Place the chicken in the roasting tin
- Season the chicken all over with salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Roast for 20 minutes per lb (450 g) plus 10-20 minutes extra – this will be 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours for a 5 lb (2.25 kg) bird.
- Baste a few times during the cooking
- For the final 15 minutes of cooking, increase the heat to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C) to give the skin that final golden crispiness
- When it is cooked, remove it from the oven and cover it with foil
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.