- 500 gram ripe tomatoes (about 6 tomatoes)
- 500 gram jam sugar
- 1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, drop the tomatoes in and leave them in until the skins split. As soon as the skin splits, fish the tomato out (I used a slotted spoon) and drop them into a bowl of cold water. The skins should be very easy to peel.
- Slice the peeled tomatoes into medium slices.
- Mix all the ingredients and simmer gently in a large pot until thick enough. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.