This is the basic recipe for buttercream that I use. You can use it as is, or add colours or go wild. This is luxuriously soft and gorgeous. This recipe makes enough for about 18 cupcakes, or for icing a 9 inch cake.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Makes about 2 cups frosting.