I had really high hopes to create a giant chocolate cake for Angela’s birthday. I didn’t in the end, but what I gave up in size I made up for in flavour,. This is the most decadent, chocolatey chocolate cake I have ever tasted. The recipe comes from Hershey’s, but since we don’t get Hershey’s in the UK, I used the generic British varieties. The frosting recipe is also from Hershey’s.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.