If you were wondering where I’ve been, we moved house. I’m in the new house and the world is a wonderful place. The house is just perfect and we’ve been settling in well, except for the usual moving in issues (like figuring out how to stop the oven from burning everything). We’ve been gardening and started our very own vegetable patch with all our favourites, which includes carrots. With this in mind, I was looking for a simple yummy recipe for carrot muffins. This recipe is a bit fiddly, it seems really easy but it is super easy to mess up, I’ve tried this a few times before getting to the exact formula that works for me. It’s based on the recipe from Food.com with a few tweaks to make it work for me.
I apologise for the bad quality photo, I still need to unpack my camera and accessories.
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup carrot, grated (about 4-5 medium carrots) If you are using a blender you just need to chop these into chunks that your blender can handle
- 1 cup apple, peeled and grated (this is about 2 medium sized apples worth) If you are using a blender, the apples just need to be peeled and cored
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C (around 180°C for fan assisted ovens).
- I used my blender and blended the chopped carrots, apple pieces, spices, salt, sugar oil and eggs and blended until smooth.
- I then mix it into a bowl with the remaining ingredients. If the mixture is dry grate in some extra carrot. This also gives the muffins a great chunky texture
- Pour batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.