This recipe is one that I found for Xmas biscuits, but I was inspired to change the cookie cutter and make them for Valentines day.
- 225g unsalted butter , softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g strawberry or raspberry jam (about half a jar)
Making the dough
- Put the butter, sugar, flour and almonds into a food processor and whizz until the mixture just comes together and forms a ball.
- If making by hand, first beat together the butter and sugar, then add the flour and ground almonds.
- Wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
Making the biscuits
- Remove the dough from the fridge and knead until it is soft enough to shape and roll.
- Divide into two even-size balls.
- Sprinkle a little plain flour over your work surface and roll out one ball of pastry.
- The dough should be approximately 5mm thick.
- Using a
starheart cutter (about 6cm wide) dipped in a little flour to stop it from sticking, cut out as many starheart shapes as you can.
- Then lightly knead the dough trimmings together and roll out again.
- Keep going until you have about 24 hearts.
- Carefully place the hearts on a baking sheet, making sure you keep them slightly apart.
- Roll out the second ball of dough the same way.
- Cut out the same-size stars and place them on a baking sheet.
- Now cut out a small circle/heart in the centre of each biscuit using a small cookie cutter or the end of a large piping nozzle.
- Heat oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1 and cook the biscuits for 20-30 mins until just golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
The finished product
- Place a blob of jam onto the centre of the biscuits without the cut-out circle.
- Be generous – you want the jam to show at the edges as well as the centre.
- Place the top halves of the biscuits on and push down gently.
- These will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Info (from the original recipe)
141 kcalories, protein 2g, carbohydrate 14g, fat 10 g, saturated fat 5g, fibre 1g, sugar 8g, salt 0.01 g